Sunday, January 5, 2014

Part Two

A month or so ago I wrote a post trying to catch up on what our family had been up to lately. There was a hint that I knew why I had not blogged in awhile. Last week I started to dive in a little at why I had not been blogging - trying to live up to the perfections of the world that we have all set. There is another big reason why the hiatus. I think it is the set of rules we are being given every other day. One day you have a list of things for your daughter, the next your son, the next day someone tells you to do the opposite. A week later it is about your marriage, then your health, then this or that.

It is exhausting.

I got so tired of reading blogs that I got tired of writing my own.

It is a shame because I love to write {grammar butchering and all} and I was letting all of these posts destroy my love for something I truly enjoy. Finally I reminded myself that I blog for me and my family {mainly because one day I will probably have dementia and I need to remember things} and not for other people.

The posts that so many find uplifting were so discouraging to me. Each time I read a new post I fell deeper into a pit of expectations that were being thrown on top of me. There was no possible way I could do all of these things everyone else was doing.

Tonight while I was nursing my son back to sleep it dawned on me. Why am I trying to do all of these things that these people as saying I should do? Why am I letting it discourage me so? It is not the people I should be listening to - it is the teachings of Jesus and my heart.

"Whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked" 1 John 2:6

There are so many great tips from these blog posts, but there is no reason I should be killing myself to try and live how they are telling me to live. I thought why not just treat people how I would want to be treated, talk to them like I would want to be spoken to. Learn from how I have been treated by others. Learn from the teachings Jesus left in God's word. That is the way I am choosing to be. If I choose to be a better person by trying to be more like Jesus then that is what will teach my children to do the same. Teaching by example, as I was taught by Jesus. Not making sure I am doing the 10 things I need to do with my spouse, 12 things with my daughter, 15 with my son, or 8 with my dog. 

One more thing in life I have simplified for myself...

"For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps." 1 Peter 2:21

2 comments:

Alexis Lantz said...

I LOVE this!!

Sarah E @ theteacherswife.com said...

It's so easy to fall into the comparison game when reading blogs. I try my best to read and then apply things that I think will be helpful or that will work for our family and I hope people do the same with my posts - I don't ever want to act like my way is the only way to do things, ya know? I've finally gotten to the point where I'm totally 100% ok with not throwing my children beautiful picture-perfect bday parties like so many blogging moms {just one example that comes to my mind}. I can only be me and I'm starting to be more and more ok with that!! :-)

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved