Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Where's the medium?

The other night I was reading in the Bible and I had been searching and searching for a particular passage. I remembered the passage and then went to look it up and went to the wrong book of the Bible. I ended up going to Proverbs 17. I read it (thinking this sounds nothing like what I was looking for) and when I got verse 5 I stopped and starting thinking how the world is today. The verse reads:

Whoever mistreats the poor insults their Maker; whoever enjoys someone's trouble will be punished. Proverbs 17:5

I instantly started thinking about how we are in the world today - as humans. We love to watch in the media as celebrities face terrible times in their lives. Most recently - Tiger Woods. I do not think that what he did is excusable by any means - I will never condone cheating. What I don't understand is why - why do we have to celebrate and poke fun at the misfortune and mistakes of others? Why is everything from then on out about the mistake the person made? From the opposite spectrum we as humans also poke fun of those out there doing good deeds. Example - Tim Tebow. What a fine example of a young, Christian man - he sets a living example of how God's children should be and how we should treat others. Yet, he is ridiculed for having values and morals. He was made fun of for crying at his last college football game.

I should have written this post last night because John and I had a great conversation about the whole topic - which originally started because of what we are studying in our small group. Right now we are studying the Fruits of the Spirit. Faithfulness is what we are discussing in particular. Last night the discussion was on forgiveness with faithfulness. The reading was of Hosea (particularly Hosea 2:19-3:5). Hosea was called to buy his wife back; she was living with another man, cheating on him with everyone and anyone. He was told to buy her and forgive her, just like God forgave Israel. From there we started talking about the whole Tiger Woods saga and that's where the stuff from above came from.

I just thought it was interesting how there is no medium - we ridicule people for doing bad and we ridicule them for doing good - where is the medium?

5 comments:

Holly said...

It's true. That's how our society is and it's so sad.

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

This is true in so many ways...and it really breaks my heart. Kimberly, wasn't sure if you knew that you won a prize in the Walking With You giveaway...could you email me your address so I can send you your prize?

Thanks,
Kelly

Caroline said...

Great post and so true.
Caroline

Tiffany said...

Wow. Very true.

Anonymous said...

But what about the first part of the proverbs verse that tells us not to mistreat the poor? Could this be applied politically?

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved