Friday, August 7, 2009

Heaven's Gain...

Today I came home from work and was greeted with, "I have some bad news" from my mom. A childhood friend of mine - a friend I have known pretty much my whole life, one that I haven't had real contact with in years, was shot in hostile fire in Afghanistan. You never know the true extent to the war that is going on at the other end of the world until it's someone you know - someone you have grown up with and never knew a life without knowing that person. Were Matt and I close? No, we were just friends - not call and chat it up friends, but friends by way of growing up in a small town where everyone knows everyone. Growing up in a church together where everyone spends time together. I knew his family, his mom was my 8th grade teacher. Matt's life had a huge impact on all that he knew - and so has his death. Thank you Matt, for being a friend to us all. Thank you Matt, for risking your life so that we may live ours freely. Thank you Matt, thank you.

Below are pictures I grabbed from his facebook...

His Fiancee - Theresa

His mom and 2 sisters

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I am so sorry. I don't think I will ever understand death this side of heaven. If there is anything I can do for you, or his family, please let me know.

Holly said...

My heart goes out to Matt's family during this difficult time. I am so grateful for all of our service men and women and the great sacrifices they make every single day. THANK YOU INDEED!!!

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved